I truly believe that people would lead much happier lives if we were all allotted an ADVENTURE. Maybe once a year would be enough. Possibly twice.
The people around me all seem slightly dead inside, heavy, and down. Imagine that the hopes of each individual are hidden innocently inside of bright red balloons. These orbs are tied to the northernmost vertebrae and extend above the back of their heads, holding them upright, keeping them together as a silent notion of still existing. As people get swept up in their day-to-day routines, however, these floating reminders of their dreams are being forgotten and lost, as if the punch clock were just scissors, slowly snipping away at the strings with each swift motion. Their lightness drifting away into deep space, they begin to hunch, weighted, sullen, and filled with a sense of self-doubt. I am here to say that there is a way to fix this, and the answer is adventure. Finding little moments that electrify your spirit can help to ease the pain of sustaining a moderately boring and normal American adult life (a standard declared by each and every struggling individual in this society who is unhappily getting by). Without further adieu, here is the unconventional list of HOW TO PACK FOR AN ADVENTURE.
- Let go of what has happened. All of it. Breathe deeply into this new, unburdened mindset.
- Visualize your most relaxing state of mind.
How do you feel? What do you see? What do you hear/smell/taste? These can help guide your choice. Write it all down. Even just a single word or a color will trigger positive vibes to create a more beautiful adventure.
- Decide what you are doing in this mindset or pick out things that will help you reconnect to your true self/nature/the universe/energy. Write those down. Be specific. You can even write down things you don’t want to be doing if that seems like a better process of elimination.
- Think back to when you were a child. What kind of things brought you joy? The beauty of being an adult is not having to ask for permission to do things or worry about who you’ll embarrass. Take a bike ride through the countryside or a ghost tour through the local cemetery. Just know that this is all about you making once in a lifetime memories.
- Figure out your budget, or make a plan to start saving. Just $100 a month is $1200 a year. If it’s going to be the best trip of your life, it will be completely worth it. Even once you decide a budget, you may need to adjust according to where you choose to go and what you want to do. Depending on how specific you want your schedule, you may want to have an emergency fund for those beautiful moments of spontaneity.
- Pick a place. Anywhere will work whether close to home or in another country. But pick somewhere that inspires you and makes you feel alive. If you long to twirl in the salt water, find somewhere near the ocean. If you want to sing from a mountaintop, head for the hills and rent out a cabin. If you don’t pick a place that inspires you, you may not get the most out of your adventure. Make sure this place allows you to do all or even some of the things that bring you joy and happiness. Look at pictures and maps and do not let the financials or distance distract too much since we plan on reaching this goal over time.
- If possible, you should travel alone. This builds a sense of confidence in being able to find your way and figure things out and can help you to gain a sense of identity.
Cons: You may get lost. So keep a map. You might also become very lonely. If this is the case you should bring a companion or work through these emotions to uncover the real reasons behind the feeling. An individual is capable of solo trips with success, and you, too, can be another one of those wildly grand travel stories. You can always find a friend or someone non-annoying and anti-irksome to take with you if need be. If you don’t know anyone like this, it only further emphasizes your need to get away on your own.
- Bring a hammock.
Literally: Every place you go to will have trees (except maybe the desert or plains), and this will provide you a chance to really take in the scenery and RELAX. Bring a book or pop in some headphones and drift away into the zone where only good feelings are allowed.
Metaphorically: Provide yourself with an opportunity to disconnect and recharge. There is no shame in basking in the atmosphere of a new place and doing nothing. Take it in as though you want to remember every detailed landscape and shadowed archway forever. Be fully present in the moment.
- Bring memories, not things. This goes for packing and shopping. Keeping a picture of happy times or friends and family may help to keep you in chipper spirits if you find yourself easily isolated and insecure. When looking for treasures to give to others upon your return, consider the value found in a cheap tourist-y item. Most of them are mass-produced and generic, which is not indicative of the wonderful time you’ve been having. Bringing a small jar to capture some pristine, shimmering sand off of an exotic beach or revealing a photo of the last breath-taking sunset has a more personal touch and gives people a real taste of your experience. It also shows that, while in that moment, you found something that brought you joy and reminded you of a significant person in your life, deepening the ultimate value. On a side note, if you intend to talk to family while overseas or traveling out of the country, you will most likely need to change your phone plan during this period that will allow for international contact without robbing you completely. This is the easiest way to maintain contact (and spirits) while making adventures happen.
- Prepare your home, assets, animals, and finances ahead of time.
There is nothing worse than stressing out over your vacation! If there are things that need to be taken care of while you are away, make plans ahead of time to ensure that they get done. This will help to make your vacation even more enjoyable without the extra responsibilities hanging over your head.
- Get out there and EXPLORE!
Be excited for this awesome opportunity to expand your horizons and splash the depths of your soul with a revitalizing wave of energy and enlightenment! You are ready to soak up every bit of loveliness and nourish your mind!!